Monday, August 22, 2011

What are we teaching our Daughters?

The popular Mattel Corporation has decided to make a Barbie doll of a country singer.  Good for them, but now I think we are to blame more than they are.  As a society we do everything in power to escape the reality that hurts so bad, called our real lives.  We teach our children to escape when we give in to what society has said is a must have and acceptable.  The average person has a reality unlike the " reality shows".  The only real thing on the Reality Shows is maybe the time in which they come on, the time is real time.  What in fact have reality shows done for the average person?  The  real person can't escape from their reality which is bills, kids, homework, minimum wage jobs, and health insurance that is less than mediocre.  We escape our reality that is less than pleasant to watch yours which is full of everything that we have made you.  It has been said over and over again, in order to get noticed you have to take your clothes or make a sex video.  Is that what we are teaching our daughters today, in order to be loved and beautiful you have to sacrifice your integrity.  Lets not forget the, however long of shame that comes to these women but in the end they become famous for having done absolutely nothing of value.  Not one of them on a reality show has cured cancer, or put their lives on the line to fight in our nations battle against terrorism.  Not one of them have made a political statement to help fix our real economy that they are exempt from.
 I vow to women around that I will no longer watch a reality show featuring anyone that shops all day and calls it a job.  No longer will I subscribe to your richness while I work everyday and pay my taxes that you seem to be oblivious too.  You see I wear a uniform everyday, and carry a weapon.  I go to those places were there are no malls or makeup.  I fight for those who just  have a small wish of a different reality that does not constitute death for speaking their minds.  Yes I myself have not cured cancer, however my reality is far from yours.  I cry, and I swear but at the end of the day I believe in two things that may have escaped many of those in Hollywood, The King James Bible and My Country.  I guess our society is made of the haves and the have not's, the will and the will not's.  I am one of the have not's and I am also one of the will not's.  I will not sacrifice my integrity nor my morals  by taking off my clothes for you or anyone else to notice.  I am a have not, I have not done anything in my life that I have had to prepare my family for before the news hits them.  My children are far more important to me than what Mattel has decided to emulate as important or worthy of immortalizing in our society.  On a given day I can say I have participated in securing a border, a town, my family and yours, and more importantly MY NATION.  Make a barbie doll out of that.

1 comment: