Monday, August 22, 2011

Against the Odds.

Going to the Movies.
I was lucky, and I will call it luck because for what ever reason, if a woman gets excited about a movie, then the man automatically associates it with "chick flick", pulling teeth and 10 mins later, off we were to the movies.  "The Helper".  When we walked into the  movie to take our seats, I looked at the sea of isles that were open, I laughed inside because the woman looked very matter of fact and the men just looked like they had been to the dentist.  I looked at my partner and he just looked helpless.  You see when you take us to a movie that you want to watch, we have to be excited about it, or at least appear that way, when we ask to see a particular movie, it's met with " I don't wanna watch that", " really, now". So after walking through the isles to get comfortable seats, I just laughed out loud.  Yes, I won one, even if it was just in my head a small victory vs no victory.  I myself really had no idea of what the movie was about but the reviews were good and the previews seemed promising.  I sat down and looked around the movie theater, a sea of men all looked like they would much rather be sleeping if given the option.  It's not to often that I go to the movies so I said a small internal prayer to myself "please let this be a good movie" I knew that if it wasn't it would be a long time before I got to pick the next one.
As the movie got underway the usual rattle of people could be heard but 20 or so mins into it, I didn't hear a sound that wasn't part of the movie.  As i began to get involved in the movie I looked over at Clay, and noticed that so was he.  He was enjoying it even if he didn't want to say it.
I have to say not many movies move me emotionally like this one.  I felt emotions in myself that I had for some time shut off.  I cried, and I laughed, I simply enjoyed this movie, and felt like it had renewed something in me that not many things do. I walked out of the theater after that with my sunglasses on, as I did not want Clay to see my red eyes certainly he knew I had cried but he didn't need to see it.
I thought to myself afterwards.  There will always be people in this world that will work hard to deny you even the very basic of life, but as they deny you that, they will never be able to take away the spirit of a warrior.  No matter what people do, they can not on their own kill the spirit that resides in you.  The will to live, to exsist is not for anyone but you and the Lord.  Just when you think you can't do something, you dig deep and awaken the spirit of a warrior that only God knows you have, because he gave it to you.  Some people will never have to dig deep because they have managed to live their life in a safety zone, that has never tested their will, their character, or their internal fortitude.
Having gone back and forth to a war zone, I am glad God gave it to me.  Inspiration and the will to survive and fight.
Many will never feel it, and they are the ones who will never know the true meaning of life, and the search for meaning in it.
Today I feel inspired and accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment